February 18, 2007

Churches

I'm not talking about the chicken restaurant even though they do have great chicken.

I'm referring to the kind we attend to worship God. It amazes me at the different types of churches people go to. Everyone needs something different.

Some people like to be yelled at by a red faced man. I haven't figured out if these people need this to stay awake or if the intimidating approach keeps them on the straight and narrow. Maybe they're just hard of hearing.

Some people don't believe in musical instruments. Another mystery. This is okay if you sing well but there are those of us who need something to drown out our bad voices.

Some churches believe it's a sin for women to cut their hair. Maybe this comes from the Rapunzel version.

Some churches worship on Saturday instead of Sunday. This one makes sense although I attend church on Sunday.

Some churches make the women cover their heads with a little scarf.

Some churches don't allow drinking.

Some churches are against women preachers.

We all read the same bible and yet there are many interpretations.

There are people who show up at my door preaching their views to me. It's not enough that I go to church. Oh no. I must attend their church or I will surely go to hell.

Some will even ask me if I believe I am going to heaven. When I tell them yes they seem surprised that I'm so sure. I feel sorry for them if they go through life feeling unsure about their here-after reservations.

Personally, I don't care what church you go to and I hope you don't mind the one I attend. Wars have been started over differences in religious beliefs. It's sad really that we can't just agree to disagree.

I went to church this morning. I didn't wear a scarf over my head, it was Sunday, nobody yelled at me, we had a woman preacher and we had musical instruments. Oh and if I had a drink or cut my hair it would be okay. :0)

No comments: